Knittin' mittens for ma kittens!

Monday, June 11, 2007

Proof of Productivity

In the last month and a half, we've moved into a new house, where I now have an entire room devoted to crafty endeavors. As such, I have a lot to show you! First off, here are my first attempts at dyeing using Jacquard acid dyes.

Some sock yarn...

Knitpicks Bare sock yarn, acid-dyed

And some roving. This is Corriedale; I was going for much deeper, more vibrant and distinct colors, but while carrying the crockpot into the house, I tripped and spilled half of the water and dye all over the floor! But it ended up giving it a neat watercolor effect, don't you think?

Corriedale

This is some oatmeal colored BFL, dyed with the same colors but using the "hot pour" method. (Heating up the roving and water in a pot, then pouring on the dye.) Too muddy for my liking, but hey, it's a start.

Oatmeal BFL

And I finally finished spinning and plying the Crown Mountain Farm "Sock Hop" yarn. The color is "The Beat Goes On."

Crown Mountain Farms Sock Hop yarn

DSCN1831

And what do you know--I made another "art yarn"! This is superwash merino pencil roving that I dyed using Easter Egg dyes, with some novelty yarn snippets and dyed romney locks, and plied with a shiny holographic thread. No name for this yet--but it reminds me of cotton candy with the blue and pink.

new art yarn

DSCN1847

DSCN1838

2 Comments:

  • Wow, that last yarn is CRAZY! Great colors! Dyeing is always a surprise for me, and spinning the dyed roving is another.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:58 AM  

  • Beautiful work! I must come sit at your feet and learn your ways. hee hee.

    By Blogger Hockey Mom, at 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home