Knittin' mittens for ma kittens!

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Gimme gimme!

What a week it's been. After the MLK holiday, coming back to work was really rough--a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it. I think things have settled down today, and I'm feeling better (sleeping for nearly 12 consecutive hours last night helped significantly. I'm a girl who needs her sleep!)

Exciting things are happening! If all goes well and UPS does not pull a fast one on me, my spinning wheel should arrive tomorrow. It's a Fricke S-160 double treadle, and I absolutely cannot wait to get it home Friday afternoon, put it together and start spinning!! I even joined the local spinning guild, after attending their Distaff Day celebration (my friend Claudia from the Intown Knitters Meetup took some great pictures, I'm in there spinning on my spindle.) I can't believe that I've gone from being someone who said she'd never, EVER take up spinning because it would just turn into another addiction, into a person who will in 24 hours have her very own wheel! Actually, yes, I can believe that. Because I have no willpower, really. I'm all id. Me want, me get.

Speaking of no willpower, I also joined the Blue Moon Fiber Arts Rockin' Sock Club. I pre-registered months ago, and went back and forth about whether or not to actually pony up when the time came. I did, but then after the whole bank fiasco they had where everyone's payments were refunded, I took it as a sign that I should save the money. But dammit, I couldn't help myself, so I went back and paid. I'm trying not to beat myself up over it and ruin the enjoyment of it! I want the anticipation of a surprise package in the mail every couple of months, the excitement of getting a pattern and color that's completely new to me, and to be a part of the community of other knitters in the club. And despite the part of me that wants to buck trends and do something different from everyone else, I've loved the patterns and colors from last year's club and don't really care that I'd be knitting the exact same socks as hundreds of other people!

So that's what's going on, and a cookie to you for reading it! Pictures of my new baby will, of course, be posted soon. And I might even have an FO to show off as well, out of my own handspun no less!

(And I almost forgot--I have to mention that I finished watching Six Feet Under this week. Ooooh, that show. I cried like a baby during the last episode of the series, it was just that moving and powerful. There are so many inspiring and important messages that I've taken away from watching it, lessons I've learned about life and death and what it means to be human. "You can't take a picture of this, it's already gone." I can't recommend it highly enough.)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Oooh! Can't wait to see pics of the new baby! I never got into watching "SFU", but my husband loves it! I might have to do the ole blockbuster thing and get the discs sent one at a time.

    I think socks are an addiction. I love having one on the needles all the time!

    Stay warm and be prepared. Something uglier might be showing up weatherwise come Sunday! Hee hee. I love cold weather!

    By Blogger Hockey Mom, at 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home