Knittin' mittens for ma kittens!

Friday, February 10, 2006

Jaywalk-ahhhh

My Lovely Jaywalkers


I promised pictures, and pictures I provide! There are my completed Jaywalkers, in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, colorway Watercolor. (More pictures on my Flickr, if you're interested.)

I. Love. Them.

I think this is my favorite FO of my entire (admittedly short) knitting career. I love everything about them, from the yarn to the pattern to the fit. Absolutely perfect. I will be making many, many more Jaywalkers--in fact, I think it might just become my default sock pattern. Even if the popularity of some other designs sometimes eludes me, I can completely understand why this pattern is so popular. It's easy, fun, and the results are spectacular.

In other sock news, I did a little swatching for my Norwegian Stockings last night, and I think my choice of fair isle colors needs reevaluating. While the silver and peach are in and of themselves lovely colors, when they are together, the motif gets lost. I think it has something to do with the "value" of the colors, but I've never had a good grasp on color theory, so I'll just say that "they're both too light." The solution, of course, was to buy more yarn. (I use this solution for many problems I encounter in life.) So I went ahead and ordered two balls of darker, richer colors--of course, I was torn between purple and watermelon, so I went ahead and ordered both. I'll continue to do some swatching with the colors I have, in order to get my gauge and work on tension, and make the final color choices when my new order arrives. I've been ordering from kaleidoscopeyarns.com, which has a great selection and very good service--I'd definitely recommend them.

I also went ahead and joined the Norwegian KAL, so do check out the cute new button to see lots of other lovely FOs and WIPs. I feel like I'm having my own personal Knit Olympics with this project, but without the 16-day time frame. And 3,999 other people. Just little old me and my yarn--that's how I like it!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home